Search site

Rent arrears

If you rent your property and are having trouble keeping up with your payments, you may be entitled to help with your rent. If you are a council or housing association tenant then speak to your landlord as soon as possible. They may be able to come to an arrangement with you to pay back the money you owe over time.

Talk to the Housing Options team as soon as you can. We may be able to help you stay in your home. We can check that your Housing Benefit and other benefits are correct, look at whether you could claim back-payments of benefit, help you apply for extra money (if appropriate) and negotiate with your landlord.